Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Christine Kling

I’ve always been a reader and a lover of books. As a kid, my nickname was “The Bookmobile.” In high school, I read about Paris in the 20’s and I thought I was born out of time – I was convinced I should have lived with Hemingway and Fitzgerald and been a frequent visitor at Gertrude Stein’s, and I sailed and traveled half the world looking for a place I could feel at home. Eventually, I discovered Mitch’s store, the Miami Book Fair, FIU and this community of writers in Miami. Books & Books became my Parisian salon and long before I ever published any fiction, I attended readings there. I met real live authors and came to believe that I, too, could be one. When my first book was published and I found myself standing at the front of the room, it was surreal. I’d dreamed that moment so many times I wasn’t really sure if it was me standing at the front of the room or if I was really just sitting in the audience dreaming.

Christine Kling

No comments: